Notts County Forum - Reflections on today
Vital Football

Latest Notts County News

Notts County Football Club News

Vital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Notts County v Bristol Rovers
Suggested By:
Notts County win29%
Bristol Rovers win52%
Draw19%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.uysapie7
2.runner_pie6
3.Oldstripy1
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Reflections on today
03 September 2016 20:04 Post ID: #3645
Elite Veteran
While you could never claim that we saw lots of quality football this afternoon, we certainly got value for money and it's always better being the side who make the comeback rather than the ones who throwaway the lead, even if we could have taken all 3 points by the end.

There's so much that could be commented on so I'll try to list some positives and negatives. I'll get the negatives out of the way first:

We can't keep giving the opposition a head start. I don't think we have scored first in any of the games so far.

Silly mistakes are costing us dearly. Their second goal was an absolute gift and we need to cut these out if we are to really make an impression on this division.

Until JS changed it, we struggled to break down a team which pressed us high up the pitch and our centre backs were given a rough ride by their physical number 9 in particular.

We don't look as effective when Stanley Aborah is playing. The results seem to back this up.

Plenty of positives to focus on:

JS is a proactive manager who makes positive substitutions and tht was certainly the case today. The change in system and personnel resulted in Tootle and Forte both being far more effective.

We can mix it up if trying to play football isn't working. Verdaine Oliver proved to be a great target man and a more direct approach had the Grimsby defence really shaking.

We have great character, determination and belief. It's been a while since we have been able to say that about a Notts side. They don't let their heads go down and as a result, the crowd stayed with them. We also have plenty of stamina as we are often finishing games as the stronger side.

Overall, I think we did enough to merit the point we got and we now go into a very winnable home game against Accrington on the back of a 4 game unbeaten run. I'd be interested in everyone else's thoughts.

Edited by runner_pie 3/9/2016 20:27
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
03 September 2016 21:11 Post ID: #3646 - in reply to #3645
Elite Veteran
They were the better team in the first half. We didn't get started.

2 soft goals again. Their forwards gave our defence a torrid time.

At 2 down, there seemed to be way back.

JS showed that he is prepared with a plan B, which if not pretty was effective. Shame about the crap penalty.

Getting a point, and nearly 3, from the game was a real bonus and shows that there is fight in the team. Last season would have ended 5-0.

If we can keep an unbeaten run going, we will climb the league.

We need 3 points next week to start winning at home.
Like post
Like this post
04 September 2016 08:49 Post ID: #3651 - in reply to #3645
Elite Veteran
Having just watched the goals again, I'm unsure as to whether Grimsby's first goal would have gone in if it weren't for O'Connor's attempted clearance deflecting it into the goal. Unfortunately, not a day that the skipper will want to remember.
Like post
Like this post
04 September 2016 10:36 Post ID: #3655 - in reply to #3651
Elite Veteran
Most of the time, they were getting the lucky breaks with the bounce of the ball.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Notts County Fixtures  >>