Notts County Forum - Ricardo Moniz - a summary
Vital Football

Latest Notts County News

Notts County Football Club News

Vital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Notts County v Bristol Rovers
Suggested By:
Notts County win29%
Bristol Rovers win52%
Draw19%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.uysapie8
2.runner_pie7
3.Oldstripy1
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Ricardo Moniz - a summary
29 December 2015 19:58 Post ID: #2779
Veteran
So where do you start when summing up Moniz as Notts boss?

Attacking play - often exhilerating
Defensive play - mostly shambolic
Coats - worse than the defensive play

To be honest I'm more sad than happy that he has gone. I realise that we are all disappointed with results and league position, but I think Ray Trew has pulled the trigger too early. The main reason being that I have actually been ENTERTAINED this season. Since Moniz took over the games have never been boring, there has been plenty of goalmouth action at both ends rather than the sterile head tennis in midfield we have suffered for so long. I think our season in terms of going up or down is pretty much over, so I would have kept him in charge more in hope than expectation so we would know if he could find the answers.

At least we might get that answer as to whether it was down to poor manager or a poor squad. I erred towards the latter, so it will be interesting to see if the new bloke (poor sod!) will be able to form a competent defence from the tools at his disposal.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
29 December 2015 21:10 Post ID: #2780 - in reply to #2779
Veteran
I also am a little disappointed and certainly don't feel as happy as I did when Derry and those that preceded him were given the boot, we are in the entertainment business and more often than not we were given value for money. I must admit though I was becoming perplexed by some of his team selections especially in the full back positions but I just thought he had trust in the players that were on the books and was expecting him to address the situation in the transfer window, but he was not given the opportunity to. Best of luck to the man he reignited my fire for watching Notts again, something that really had become a chore. Just hope the next one through the turnstile keeps that fire lit and for what it's worth mark cooper ain't the man to do that.
Like post
Like this post
29 December 2015 22:21 Post ID: #2781 - in reply to #2779
Elite Veteran
When employing a manager from another country with experience of League 2 and a back room staff imposed upon him, it seems crazy that we sack him after such a short time. If we were in any danger of relegation then I could understand it. There were obviously huge concerns around our defending and the poor away record but the home record was great and this was clearly something to build upon. It comes to something when a manager who has won 7 of his last 10 home games gets sacked. Where do we go from here?
Like post
Like this post
29 December 2015 22:33 Post ID: #2782 - in reply to #2779
Veteran
Where do we go from here?
I'd guess we go back down the well worn path of --- new manager comes in --- he needs his own players --- his players need time to gel --- he's shit Ray, get rid --- new manager comes in etc etc etc.

I liked the idea that Moniz was trying to introduce a playing ethos throughout the club. He appeared to have laid solid foundations with promising results from the Youth / Development squads, but was struggling to get it across to the first team. My worry is that we'll now go back to boring hoofball, and we've had more than our share of that.
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2015 12:55 Post ID: #2787 - in reply to #2779
Regular
Moniz needed to sort out the defence, so a sensible thing would have been to spend January recruiting some better defenders and/or a better defensive coach.

Instead we roll the dice AGAIN, scrap any stability/progress AGAIN. I hope it works out with the new guy, but this short-term thinking has so far got us nowhere. I'm disappointed but unsurprised.
Like post
Like this post
30 December 2015 23:21 Post ID: #2789 - in reply to #2787
Elite Veteran
The problem also was that we had defenders on the books, Hollis and Adams for example, but he never selected a settled back four. sending players out on loan when we need them is weird.

I don't think the ethos of footballing defenders playing the ball out works in this league. First and foremost, you need 2 stoppers in the middle of defence. i don't think he grasped the idea.

2 up front would pressure on opposing defences but, again, he played one up front.

His selections in midfield were exasperating, playing Smith when Thompson is far more mobile for example.

I just don't think he would have got us out of this league, despite the entertaining football at home. The disastrous away record was the killer.

Hopefully we recruit a manager who can add to and utilise the squad, not rip it apart.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Notts County Fixtures  >>