Notts County Forum - Who are ya?
Vital Football

Latest Notts County News

Notts County Football Club News

Vital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Notts County v Bristol Rovers
Suggested By:
Notts County win29%
Bristol Rovers win52%
Draw19%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.uysapie7
2.runner_pie6
3.Oldstripy1
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Who are ya?
10 October 2015 12:13 Post ID: #2400
Elite Veteran
We have a small but select band who post on here so I thought it might be good to find out about our backgrounds in following Notts e.g. When did you start going to matches? Have you got an all time favourite player, match or goal? I'll kick off:

I went to my first match when I was about 3 or 4 (around 1979-80) and sat on the at the front of the old County Road but have little recollection of anything about the match although I think we won 3-0. I started going to a few games in the mid 80s then got my first season ticket for Neil Warnock's first promotion season.

Charlie Mac was my first hero but my all time favourite players are probably Dean Yates, Tommy Johnson and Mark Stallard. My favourite goal would have to be Don O's pile driver at Spurs. As for favourite games, beating F****t 2-1 in 1994, destroying Spurs 3-0 in the League cup and winning 5-1 against Tranmere are right up there for me. Getting last minute winners away at Rotherham and Birmingham in 1990 also rank highly.

Over to you
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
10 October 2015 18:29 Post ID: #2404 - in reply to #2400
Veteran
My name is David and I'm a sex addict. Oops wrong forum lets get back on track.

My first game I think was in the early 80s, stood moaning I was cold to my dad on a sparsely populated kop against Coventry, I think we won 2-1 Trevor Christie with a retaken penalty it was the same season if I remember that Liverpool won the title with a 0-0 draw at the lane. As my formative years began and everyone at school was either a forest or Liverpool fan and me and only me a Notts fan it was a pleasure to go through the Wembley play off victories with such a great side.

My all time hero to play in the black n white stripes is Tommy Johnson and also had a soft spot for Gary Lund, which brings me to my favourite game the 1-0 win over man city in the FA cup 5th round, what a game that was Steve cherrys goal led a charmed life in that game. As for my favourite goal I can't really remember one to be honest. There has been plenty more downs than ups following super Notts but I think the side we have now might just emulate some of what that side achieved if they iron out the mistakes.

My favourite current player is Adam Campbell, I must have a thing for ginger haired Geordies at the lane!!!!
Like post
Like this post
10 October 2015 19:42 Post ID: #2405 - in reply to #2400
Elite Veteran
The Man City game was amazing. I was stood on the old County Road with a crash barrier right in front of me. When Gary Lund scored, I went mental but was getting crushed at the same time. They do say that pain is close to pleasure!
Like post
Like this post
10 October 2015 23:36 Post ID: #2406 - in reply to #2400
Veteran
Yeah, I was in there aswell. Don't you think football lost its soul when all seater stadia came into effect, never been the same since, used to love being in the county rd back in the day.
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2015 00:35 Post ID: #2409 - in reply to #2406
Elite Veteran
First game was in 1952, taken by my uncle who said I needed eddication

Black & white since then.

Tommy Lawton and Tony Hateley are my favourite players ( sorry, young 'uns).

Difficult to pick a favourite goal but Charlie Palmer's against the red dogs is right up there.
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2015 07:00 Post ID: #2410 - in reply to #2406
Elite Veteran
Fridge magnet - 10/10/2015 23:36

Yeah, I was in there aswell. Don't you think football lost its soul when all seater stadia came into effect, never been the same since, used to love being in the county rd back in the day.

I know what you mean. People go on about the atmosphere in the Kop but, for me, it isn't a patch on the old County Road. There seemed to be a lot more characters back then and a lot more originality in the songs that were sung. Happy days!
Like post
Like this post
11 October 2015 09:56 Post ID: #2412 - in reply to #2410
Veteran
runner_pie - 11/10/2015 07:00

Fridge magnet - 10/10/2015 23:36

I know what you mean. People go on about the atmosphere in the Kop but, for me, it isn't a patch on the old County Road. There seemed to be a lot more characters back then and a lot more originality in the songs that were sung. Happy days!

So true, the kop is too big an area and don't have enough fans, under the roof in the county road back then the atmosphere used to be electric at times and you really felt part of something, unfortunately i don't think we will ever get that back again.
Like post
Like this post
12 October 2015 13:54 Post ID: #2424 - in reply to #2400
Regular

Hello, I'm Dom (obviously) and I don't post too regularly but will chip in from time to time! I started going to games in the early '90's when I was a kid and was a regular attender until I turned away from football completely as a teenager. Rediscovered my love of Notts in my mid 20's but since I'm now living in London I tend to only go to the occasional match - usually away games around my neck of the woods.

Never put much thought into favourite players or matches, but that 3-3 match against them over the river a few years back is up there for me. Penalties and result aside, the entertainment, drama and atmosphere was incredible. Still, Charlie Palmer's goal was probably my favourite single moment of any match I've seen!
Like post
Like this post
12 October 2015 14:43 Post ID: #2425 - in reply to #2424
Veteran
Hello all, my first match was in the 93/94 season against crystal palace. We won 3-2 and I was hooked ever since. Seeing McSweegan fire home a penalty right in front of me was the exact moment I fell in love with the Pies.

There are a few matches that live strong in my memory but one of the favourites was in the 98 champions season going to Doncaster and standing in the freezing open terrace behind the goal!

Favourite players were Andy legg and Devon White.

Also a side note, Sean Farrell was my driving instructor and he got my 1998 champions shirt signed by the players of the Ian Richardson testimonial match.
Like post
Like this post
12 October 2015 19:30 Post ID: #2428 - in reply to #2400
Elite Veteran
I absolutely loved Gary Mac. He was a great finisher and that season where we beat F****t and hammered Leicester and Detby was one of my favourites. I wonder how he looks back on his time at Notts as the fans really idolised him.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum:
Notts County Fixtures  >>